Would you like to have a document translated, present a multilingual website, or publish an academic article? Would you like to translate a contract or a technical handbook? Whether you would like to produce an impeccable marketing brochure or a detailed offer in either English or German, I can provide you with a professional and competent translation.
I am a native speaker of English. I was born in London and grew up in Ireland, where I studied History at Trinity College Dublin (University of Dublin). I have lived in Germany since 1996, and I studied Business Administration at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh (distance learning) before completing my GDS (German as a foreign language) qualification at the Goethe Institut / Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich with the highest score.
In May 2011 I attained a Diploma in Translation (Dipl. Trans.) from the Chartered Institute of Linguists in London with "merit".
My previous positions include running the British Bookshop in Berlin from 1998-2001, Trade Officer for Her Majesty's Foreign Office at the British Consulate-General in Hamburg from 2001-2004, and as Import Director for Libri GmbH, Europe's leading book wholesaler, from 2004-2008.
During all this time, and in these various positions of employment, I carried out numerous and varied translations between German and English, from market reports to websites and contracts. In 2008 I decided to turn my passion for translation into my full-time occupation, and am now a very happy freelance translator!
What can I offer?
- Complete fluency in English (my native language) and excellent mastery of German, having attained the highest grade in the GDS, the most advanced German language qualification available
- An elegant and accessible writing style, with a fine eye for detail
- An education in the arts, in business and in the German language
- Professional experience in the area of marketing, sales, purchasing, retail and wholesale, finance, human resources, negotiation, contract-making, strategic planning, international trade and promotion
- Cultural experience of living in Germany – Berlin and then Hamburg – since 1996
- A long-standing record of offering excellent translation services to many satisfied customers
- Creativity in solving problems, professionalism in implementing tasks, reliability in delivering on time and flexibility in dealing with my customers' needs
How can I help you?
- Doctoral theses and dissertations
- Research papers and academic articles
- Essays and scientific publications
- Summaries and abstracts
- Powerpoint presentations
Marketing & Export Translations
- Business reports
- Promotional material & Public Relations
- Resumes and personal data sheets
- Press releases
- Business cards and catalogues
- Import-Export documents
- Product presentations for your target market
- Market research, opinion research
- Logistics, Wholesale, Retail trade
- Covering letters and application documents
- E-mail correspondence
- Translation of your complete web presence and corresponding databases
- Translation of extracted websites as doc, xls, pdf, rtf
- Translation of graphic elements such as gif, jpg, Flash
Editing and Proofreading
- Complete, line-by-line examination of previously translated texts
- Comparisons of translations with the original text
- Correction of punctuation and orthography
- Improvements to style and fluency